Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Ode to Poodles....Trees, That Is



Okay, I'm going to stand right up and admit this in front of God (who already knows anyway) and everybody... Yes! I have Poodle Trees!! We inherited them when we bought the house 10 years ago and I haven't had the heart to change them. One of the reasons I've kept them is because they blend in with our 50's neighborhood (those days when they planted a Juniper in every blank spot they could find) and secondly, my DH (dear hubby) loves them and is quite attached. He never had a dog as a child and I wonder if this is why? And don't even get me started on the junipers that run all along the north side of the house! The ones that make me sneeze when I open the windows. You should hear some of the comments and "eye brow raises" when Xeriscape purists are on tour.

So.... I'm tired of being "ashamed" of them. I have them and that's that! They are now "pets," it looks like they are here to stay, and I try not to talk too negatively about them when their backs are turned. Actually I have tried to "naturalize" them somewhat but they look shaggy and unattended, so it's back to the trimmers.

2 comments:

Nickie said...

well....at least they aren't the square bushes (shudders).

Bev said...

That's right Nickie... the neighborhood is full of them. And, thank goodness, my husband DID let me take out the one that was square.