Friday, August 17, 2007

"Entry" Garden and Guard Cat



Okay, put your shades on if you want to view this garden! Near the front entry I have a spot that I struggled with for several years. Half of it is in deep shade most of the day from the porch, and the other half is in hot sun most of the day. I wanted something bright that would lighten up the shade. Yowzie!! Did I do it or what???


The fence in the background covers up the hose reel, etc. My husband found these boards for free at the recycle yard and I gave them a little white wash. I decided I wanted to have some more heucheras, so they are the mainstay of this area. Plantings in this garden include: Coleus, Creeping Jenny, Heuchera 'Crimson Curls,' 'Green Spice', and 'Dolce Cream de Menthe.' Other plants are: 'Charmed Wine' Oxalis, Brunnera 'Variegata', 'Cardinal' Lobelia, and Celosia. I'm sure I stuffed a few more things in here as time when on, including Golden Dewdrop Duranta erecta 'Lime,' Lysimachia Lime, Victoria Blue Salvia, with the ongoing Sweet Woodruff and False DragonHead that were already there. Whew, can it get any more crowded in here? Oh, and a Jacob's Ladder in the middle.


And don't be coming up to do anything naughty at my house, because the Big Blue Red-Eyed Cat is guarding everything!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd say you did it--and with a "guard cat" to boot! *grin* I love that riot of color, and you've convinced me that I really need (yes, NEED) to plant some of that red-leaf celosia next year. It's stunning.

LostRoses said...

Your neighbors must love looking at your garden, Bev! You've really achieved a bright spot here, including the "guard cat." Very clever!

Marie said...

Nice! You are clever :o)

Bev said...

Hi Blackswamp Girl, LostRoses and Marie - Glad you came to visit. For some reason (?) I had never been drawn to celosia, but I am now a fan of the red-leaf. Will plant more next year. As for my guard cat... he is a happy accident. My husband brought him home one day from a friend that had thrown him out (the cat... not my husband). He (the cat...not my husband) is REALLY HEAVY concrete. I paint him different colors and decided on the bright blue this year. He is almost covered up now (the cat...not my husband) and I couldn't believe my "eyes" when I uploaded this photo. Just too funny!

Gina said...

very pretty! i think i need something blue!

Bev said...

Gina, I just this year added some blue accents here and there to my gardens and I think they are great eye-catchers among the green foliage and various colors. I especially like blue with the bright lime green. I'm kind of stuck on that this year for some reason??