Friday, October 26, 2007

This Is More Like It!

The Perovskia - Russian Sage - have begun to adorn themselves in stylish Winter White...

... making a lovely backdrop for the Sedum Autumn Joy, Ava Agastache, Desert Sunrise Agastache, Salvia Rose Queen and the remains of Lamb's Ear. I love to look out my bedroom window in the early morning and see the sun backlighting the filmy white branches.

The Hardy Pampas Grass rises above the Pyrocantha, which is loaded with berries this year.


One of the interesting things about gardening in Colorado is that each year brings something different to every season. Depending on weather, moisture, etc. some fall seasons have more color than others. This year the snow we had last week was too much moisture for the Sedum Autumn Joy and a lot of foliage broke or fell over. This will be the second year in a row that I most likely will not able to enjoy their beautiful winter texture. And, they are one of my favorite! And a lot of trees that had not yet begun to change color will now just be a dull brown instead.

This was the Honey Locust last fall. (Not so this year.) It was stunning, at least until the heavy snows came and stayed all winter. As a matter of fact, it was one year ago today (October 26) that the area experienced a blizzard which left anywhere between 1-2 feet of snow. We got a foot where we live. So.... I consider myself very fortunate this year. Monday had a high of 49 and a low of 21 (VERY COLD!) but the rest of the week was in the 70's and absolutely beautiful. I was able to do some more fall cleanup. Probably not so this weekend though. I've learned to take every opportunity I can to work outside.


7 comments:

Connie said...

That honey locust tree is gorgeous!
Our neighbor has one, and I have a hard time not coveting it whenever I pass by it for my walk. Hubby and I just dug up a native locust from the roadside and planted it, so I guess that will have to do for now...and it was free. :-)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful streetscape you have developed. Congratulations on the hard work oyu've put in to it.

Marie said...

Beautiful fall photos. I loved the tree!

I wish you a nice week :o)

Bev said...

Thank you Connie, Bare Bones and Marie. It is always nice to hear from you and to have my efforts appreciated.

LostRoses said...

I wondered about your "winter white" on the perovskia till I went out and looked at mine. You're right! What a heavenly color on your Honey Locust. Either mine has never looked like that or it's so close to the house that I don't "see" it properly. I always enjoy my neighbor's color more than my own - I can see it better!

You'll never guess what I saw in a trash can up the street today - all the plumes from a lovely stand of Pampas grass. What was that person thinking?? Save me from "tidy gardeners"!

Unknown said...

No matter what the weather, season, sunlight or other conditions, you continue to capture amazing shots of beauty. Thanks for sharing with us!

Bev said...

LR - That's the reason I love the Perovskia in the winter, especially when the sun comes through them in early morning. Can you believe anyone not leaving the beautiful Pampas grass plumes to enjoy all winter???

Wade -- Thanks for your wonderful comments!