Monday, January 7, 2008

Getting Started....Kinda

I love the shape of this little sage


The Ringed-Neck doves were busy at the feeder this morning. Too bad I have to photograph them from far away and through the window, but they are pretty spooky.

Finally, a week not interrupted by a holiday. Time to get settled in for the winter and start accomplishing some things, right? I thought I'd have much more energy for it than I do today, but ya gotta get started somewhere. A walk outside for some inspiration, that's what I needed. Not much there. Brrrr... it is cold. As you can see from this photo there is a storm coming in:



Nature's birdhouse. Many little birds take shelter in the "poodle" trees. A good use for them!
At least this winter (so far) has not been as bad as last year, and for that I'm very thankful. This time last year we were still getting stuck in the drift in from of our house.
I've started a list of things I want to accomplish this year. But the top chore is to reorganize all of my gardening publications, books, journals, calendars, etc. Now that I am retired I can devote more room in my office to my gardening passions. First, I need to clean out 20 years of stuff accumulated during my stint as a freelance graphic designer. And that is going to be quite a job. Old client files, artwork, books, supplies, you name it. I have been trying to do a little each day so that it doesn't feel so daunting, but it is slow going. Meantime, awaiting are four years of plant tags, piles of books and gardening publications, and a new software program to keep track of it all, which I am using as incentive to get this done. I can hardly wait to get started on that (okay, I see a theme here!)
Speaking of work, I still do have one client: our local Humane Society. I work on their website and I just love it. I love doing things for animals and working with people who love them. With that in mind, I think I'll stop now and get caught up with their work so I can get started on with mine!

2 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Hello Bev and Happy 2008 to you!

I've been catching up with your posts and am so sorry about the truck smashing your garden - hope the plants are resilient.

Good luck with the reorganization and the attempts to catch doves in photos - sometimes there are 5 or 6 white-winged doves on the birdbath, but just me thinking about taking their photo is enough to make them fly away.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Bev said...

Annie, I'm glad to hear that someone else has trouble photographing the doves. We have some white wings during the summer but have not seen any this winter. Thanks for visiting.